Monday, July 30, 2012

It's a fall, not a fail.

A few things in my life prompted this thought today.
Mainly, I fell at work.

The bathroom floor was recently washed. Right after I walked in my feet flew out from under me, I failingly grasped at the sink, and the garbage can toppled onto my head as I experienced that brief moment of sheer terror that we all know, "AM I GOING TO DIE?!"
The following 5 seconds I played a game common amongst toddlers, "do I cry or laugh?"
I got up and spent the first 20 minutes of my shift laughing as I thought of my terrific fall from grace.

Besides my less-than-agile endeavors, I have also been talking with some dear friends about what to do when you fall off the clean-diet band wagon.  You have a real good thing goin', you're feeling hot and pumped, and on your A-game in the gym and in the kitchen when all of a sudden you start slipping.  1 pizza and 6 krispy kremes later you wonder who took your self-control and if that hooligan also stole your fries.  That's a little dramatic but we've all had those weekends in which we indulged a little more than planned and feel a little lost.  Here's the thing: when you're on your back in the bathroom of a steak and seafood restaurant, chances are you're going to get back up.  With diet and exercise, you have a few more obstacles in the way but the decision is the same: stay put on that tile floor that's covered in self-doubt or get up and rock your bod?

It's a choice and it's one that may be made over and over again.  Even the most seasoned fitness enthusiast will slip every once in a while (that's also called being human) but those times become less common and getting up gets a little easier.

We all fall...I usually physically and literally fall while running, walking, or apparently, at work, about 6-7 times a year.  That's probably a bit higher than normal but I was never really good at hop-scotch, sue me.  We also all fall in the kitchen and in the gym.  But like I do when I land on the pavement or on a tile floor, I get back up.  Make the choice, laugh it off, and slap on a band-aid that comes in the form of an awesome workout and a delicious clean meal.

1 comment:

  1. yay court I'm trying to get super fit and am excited about your blog and just went off the bandwagon today :( haha keep it coming because you look great!!!

    ReplyDelete