Wednesday, July 25, 2012

It's a Choice, Not a Burden.

This is a bit of a rant and more serious than I normally am but it's something that has been on my mind for a while.  Regarding a mentality I often see in bodybuilding and fitness life.  The thought that we (those heavily involved in this lifestyle) are for some undeserving reason, better than others.  Time and again I see statuses or hear talk about how what we're doing is "not for the weak" or how "I sacrificed everything for my dream."  Some think of themselves as iron warriors to be bowed down to.  Puhhlease.  We're not curing cancer, we're not saving lives.  We're making choices that are indeed tough but not to be admired like some feel they deserve.

Yes, it's hard at times but it's a CHOICE.  When we're hungry it's because we've chosen to diet, it's not because we're like the millions of people around the world who are literally starving and unable to do anything about it.  When we can't get off the couch it's because we chose to do a killer leg workout the day before, not because we are without limbs and handicapped.  When we spend another weekend night at home it's because we are choosing to go to bed early, not because it's unsafe to leave our homes when it gets dark out.  Oh you want to update your status about how you're watching friends scarf down fries while you take out your tupperware of chicken?  You are an able-bodied, conscious, individual who has the opportunity to eat when they want, where they want, surrounded by friends!  And you have a smartphone!  Holy mackerel you are a lucky son of a gun, stop acting like it's a terrible burden that you're eating chicken again.

I absolutely admit that I am guilty of this and constantly try to tell myself how lucky I am.  It's sometimes fun to comically complain with other competitors about prep hardships but keeping the bigger picture in the forefront is necessary.

I apologize to any cancer-curing, paralyzed, poverty stricken body building/bikini (etc) competitors, hats off to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment