Thursday, July 26, 2012

I feel like a balloon and look like I have leprosy-post show transitions

A week after a show I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...how about be really sexy and do both at once?!  Looking at all the pictures of THE day is both motivating and slightly depressing.  At this point my beauteous glowing tan looks like a diesase in some places, mud in others, and splotches of casper-white skin are starting to peek through.  Although I haven't indulged in anything crazy I feel puffy and sluggish.  I find myself hanging out with my dog because I'm 85% sure she doesn't judge me.

Especially for women this feeling of wanting to put a sleeping bag over your body is going to happen for a little while.  Unless you want to throw on your clear 5inch heels, cover your face in a pound of makeup, and spend an hour doing your hair, you're not going to look exactly like you did on THE day a week ago.  THE day is a big, special day for that very reason: it doesn't happen everyday.  Recognizing that human beings aren't supposed to stride the streets like that on a daily basis is an important realization to help your post-competition transition.  It's one I'm still trying to master and one that really separates seasoned athletes and us newbies.

What do you do?!  Well, you have control over some things like your diet-if you eat pizza every meal for an entire week CHANCES are you're not going to look or feel amazing.  Keep it clean for the most part and your body will thank you.  Do something that feels good that doesn't have anything to do with exercise or similar shenanigans-Will Ferrell movies are fantastic during this time.  Try to remember that other part of you, you know the one filled with family, friends, jobs, school, uh LIFE?! Engage in that for a while.

Regardless though, you may not look or feel on your A-game for a while.  That's okay, the time to frolick in stripper heels/posing suits will come again.  Until then, hang out with a non-judgemental pet and remember there's a lot more to life than posing half-nude on a stage.

1 comment:

  1. I like your honesty, another reason I'm getting a dog...no judgement.

    ReplyDelete