Friday, August 3, 2012

Iron Aphrodisiacs

Sometimes you're just not in the mood.  Work is stressful, bills need to be paid, you "have a headache", and really, sleep seems like the best option.  You just don't want to do it today.  What will snap you out of it and get your body in gear?

I'm not talking chocolate-covered strawberries or oysters here people.  I'll leave that to Cosmo (guys stop pretending you're not secretly delighted when it's the only reading material in a waiting room) and talk about a different kind of mood that is equally important.

We've all been in those tired, unmotivated funks when a workout seems comparable to a root canal.  The knowledge that you'll feel better once it's complete means peanuts to you at this time and you need a little somethin' to get that arse in gear.  While I'm no pro, I have been in PLENTLY of these situations and have found some delightful little tricks that get me in the mood, beast mode that is.

One, brush your teeth.  I swear, girl scout's honor (though I never made it past being a Daisy, arts and crafts are NOT my thing) that brushing your chompers will give you a fresh start and a clean feeling that applies to more than just your incisors.  Regardless of the time of day, take out that Crest and you'll already feel better.

Two, hit up some YouTube videos and watch motivating clips.  Seriously, typing in "Gym Motivation" yields almost 15,000 results.  I recommend listening to bodybuilder, Kai Greene or figure competitor, Nicole Wilkins for a few minutes and hearing it from the best.  Seeing and hearing these visuals are certain to put a pep in your lethargic steps.

Three, find a pre-workout supplement that you enjoy.  This isn't for everyone but if you're really looking to get the most out of workouts, do some research, try some different brands and find a pre-workout that makes you feel like a superhero.  Even if it's just for the psychological benefits.  When I'm sipping my pre-workout bevie, I no longer just listen to Nicole Wilkins, I start feeling like her.  Delusions of grandeur are not always a bad thing.

Four, text someone and tell them you're going to call them after your workout.  If you don't ACTUALLY workout, you will feel like a royal douche saying you did.

Five, think of something great you get to do/have after your workout.  For example, a yummy clean treat.  Some days I would literally hike across the Sahara for my post-workout shake.  The cool deliciousness is made 9 billion times better after I train.  Plan ahead and keep those eyes on that blended prize.

Hopefully these things will help.  Additional incentive comes from the well-known fact that exercise helps all types of emotions.  If feeling great about yourself and your body doesn't put you in an awesome, energetic mood, well then, you may need to call in those chocolate-covered strawberries and oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment