Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pleasure in the Process

I used to start planning my birthday party around mid-July.  There was a venue to choose, balloon colors to pick through, and the very important matter of revising the guest list (when you're 8 this list can change a dozen times in an hour, largely dependent on whose beanie babie you're the most envious of).  Needless to say, there was a lot to be done. 

 My mom always assured me there was enough time, afterall my birthday is in late October.

The cards coming from relatives in the weeks leading up to it, the trips to the dollar store to pick out goody bags, and the ANTICIPATION that wracked my head at night, "WILL I GET THAT EASY-BAKE OVEN OR NOT?!"  All of these things just filled my autumn days with joy, excitement, and enthusiasm.

When the big day arrived I usually let my pent up energy and emotions get the best of me and I'd end up with a case of "too much birthday."  I'd find myself a little disappointed, overwhelmed with guests, and exhuasted from all the sleepless nights I had spent pondering over what pinata to elect for my special day.  There were many years when I would even get sent to my room, "Courtney, you may NOT ask the guests if they want the disappointing present you just opened."

Overtime I found that the big day could be taken on with a stable approach and could be enjoyed to the fullest being surrounded by family and friends.  But still, I found and continue to find, absolute joy in the buildup.  This has proven to be true in many cases: Christmas, prom, planning a vacation, etc...I have found the happiness in the process leading up these things to be just as great as the joy that comes on the actual event.

Recently I have again been experiencing sleepless nights.  But instead of going over potential menu items (cool ranch dorito centerpieces or go with the classic nacho cheese?), I have been filled with thoughts of clear heels, oiled skin, and hopefully popping muscles.  Before your mind travels a bit too far down a scandelous path, I am of course talking about the show I have this upcoming weekend.  Excited is the understatement of the millenium.

However, what I have found with this sport, with this amazing lifestyle, is that again the pleasure is in the process.  I genuinely love the transformation  and overall progression that can take place before a show.  Waking up to start your day by putting egg whites in that pan AGAIN, recieving that text from a fitness friend reminding you your day is getting closer, putting in another cardio session after a long day at work.  Laughing at yourself when you make coffee and forget to add the coffee, genuine delight when you open the fridge and see your already prepared next meal, booking tanning sessions and hotel rooms.  These things are what make me love this sport.  Above all else it's the GRADUAL changes you begin to see in your physique, the slow transformation that begins to appear, an eventual visual indicator that the repetitions produced in the kitchen and in the gym are resulting in something great. 

I have found that this process is what I love.  Maybe it's a lack of sleep or diet that's bringing tears to my eyes now, but I just feel genuniely blessed that I have found a passion I love whole-heartedly.  It may sound silly to some but that's ok: passions differ from person to person, what's important is that you have one. 

My competition is in three days.  I have done everything I can to be prepared and am able to acknowledge that whatever the result, I have succeeded by truly embracing and admiring the process.  I now get to spend a weekend with some amazing people, witness the hard work of others, and laugh about the shenanigans that go along with ths sport.  I've done everything I can and have loved (or at least appreciated) every second of the process.

And now it's here.  Kids, grab your bat and head over to the swinging pinata...it's party time.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney you are a skilled writer. Your ability to take an event and describe it so your audience can see and touch it, and then compare it to something you are currently experiencing is amazing! As I read your blog, I find myself chuckling and then have caught myself nodding my head in quiet agreement as I continue reading it. You have a positive effect kiddo, keep it up! And as far as this weekend... you look amazing and in my book you are a champion! Go with confidence and a pep in your step on stage and whatever you do, don't forget to send your signature wink out to the crowd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mom left a comment when I was still signed in because that looks like I am giving myself a helluva lot of compliments. "Mothers" and "technology" are most definitely antonyms.

    ReplyDelete