Monday, December 29, 2014

Dessert, Wine, and a GPS- how to plan on making 2015 one heckofa year.

I don’t want to miss the opportunity to write about the New Year since everyone and their mom (hi ma!) likes to offer some kind of insight around this time:

New Year, New You.  

Resolutions to Change Your Life.  

How to Make 2015 YOUR Year.


The thing is, I don’t know how to change your life.  I’ve got my own over here I’m trying to figure out.  I could tell you 5 foods to eat in 2015, how to get rid of those love handles, or what kind of bikini bottom to wear onstage but I don’t know if that’s what you need.  

I have no idea what will make you happier or more successful in 2015.

That’s going to take some work on your end. 

I took a look at 15 (I couldn’t quite handle 2, 015) things that could potentially enhance my quality of life in  the New Year.  I already know I’m probably going to tackle a career change, plan a wedding, apply for house mortgages, and car loans so what small things can I implement that will make these big changes enjoyable?

These are mine, yours will be different.  
I am Courtney, an easily anxious, energetic woman that really enjoys peanut butter and procrastinates showering. We are different and your goals will, and should, be different.  

These will change my life, yours will change yours.

1. Buy a $30 bottle of wine.  
I am 27 and I work hard.  I am going to cheers myself with a quality beverage and enjoy the flavors of the best fruit known to mankind.

2. Write.
I love this shite...words and finding out where they should go.  However, I think of it in a way similar to cleaning- hard to get started but loving the result.  Ello swiffer.

3. Make (with an OVEN and/or STOVE) dinner once a week.  
I typically grab oats, egg whites, or the leftover chicken my fiancé has made for dinner.  I feel a sense of nourished accomplishment when I put something together that takes more than a microwave.  So call me Julia and hand me that spatula, I’m going to do it.

4. Buy and use skin cream. 
 I’m Irish and I tanned in artificial UV rays for about 5 years. ‘nough said.

5. Go out to dinner by myself.  
I want to sit and enjoy my company.  If you see a blond ponytail giggling to herself over lobster tail, just walk by (and perhaps give a heads up about the butter on my chin.)

6. Check my voicemail.  
I have a voicemail notification 99% of the time.  And I don’t check it.  I literally look at a little red notification 364 days out of the year.  And it gives me anxiety.  JUST CHECK IT.

7. Eat a dessert that isn’t non/low fat.  
I always opt for the lighter option- I will eat something that can be considered “decadent” by a grownup palate in 2015.

8. Stretch.  
In the grocery line, at the bank, watching TV.  I’m more comfortable when I do…it’s time to straddle, squat, lean, and lower and it's time to do it regularly.

9. Write letters.  
I love sending and getting paper freaking envelopes.  I’m sharpening my quill now.

10. Date my fiancé.  
The best thing in my entire life was falling in love with this big, friendly giant of a man…I will date him in the new year and I will date him hard.

11. Clean my car.  
Even once would be more than what it got in 2014.

12. Smile at strangers.  
For a cheerful person I usually give the guy looking my way the most unattractive look I can muster.  Chill, he’s probably looking at the corvette behind you, just smile.

13. Get gas before the tank light comes on.  
I know how much better I feel when I do yet I NEVER do.  Why? Irving here I come.

14. Play with my dog.  
I pet her, snuggle her, and Instagram her, but I don’t often PLAY.  She is only here for so long and legitimately only cares about 1 thing- loving us.  Time to make that tail wag.

15. Trust my GPS.  
I usually think I am smarter than GoogleMaps.  I’m not and I get lost and angry.  2015 will be the year of direction (heh).

What will change your life?  What will make your days easier or more fulfilling?  What will allow you to breathe a bit more and worry a little less?

We all have the big goals, the life changing events, and the monumental moments.  To help us enjoy, appreciate, and feel GOOD in the everyday I suggest taking a look at the Little.  The small stuff.  The mundane. 

I can see the appeal of those articles promising to change your life…but they don’t know you.  They don’t know what needs changing.  Take a little lookski at yourself and don’t stress about making it the best year of your life…let’s just start with making it pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment